Next Page

Previous Page

Thread: Sputtering Issue

Created on: 01/07/09 12:00 AM

Replies: 3

commo27

Sputtering Issue
01/07/09 8:50 PM

On our sputtering tool we have two MDX 10K power supplies. These power supplies go into selector switches that choose Metal A, Metal B, Or Metal C. As of now the Metal A and now the Metal B are seeing 1023V and no current. Metal C, Which is in the same chamber using the same gas is running normal. Here is what we tested so far.

We connected the MDX 10K power supply directly to the target and received 1023V from the power supply and no current during process.
We swapped the MDX 10K power supplies and the issue followed.
The pressure is good when we the start the process.
We tested the gas flow and zeroed the MFC’s.

Everything seems to be normal. We have pressure, Gas and Voltage, What is left? Thank you.

[Edit Post]

Link | Top | Bottom

PJKELLY

RE: Sputtering Issue
02/06/09 6:47 AM

The figure of 1023V means the MDX has reached its max voltage without being able to strike a plasma, ie, it is 'open circuit'. This would happen if the pressure was too low or the target was not sufficiently conductive or the magnetic field strength was too weak. If there are no problems with the target or the magnets and you're happy with the pressure than the other option is there is a break in the output cable from the MDX to the chamber. Have you swapped cables from the selector switch to the chamber?
Good luck!

[Edit Post]

Link | Top | Bottom

commo27

03/18/09 4:16 PM

Thanks PJ, We are checking into the magnetism right now but with my understanding of PVD, I thought sputtering could be achieved without magnets and the magnets only intensify and confine the sputtering process. This conference should teach me a lot more of the PVD process. Thanks!

[Edit Post]

Link | Top | Bottom

willguo

04/12/09 11:11 AM

Sometimes if the sputtering target is magnetic, such as Co, Ni, Fe or some of their alloys. The pass through flux (PTF) is really important. I had many experiences of customers not being able to strike a plasma due to this issue. That's also the reason some of the sputtering target thickness has to be very thin in order to have good PTF to initiate plasma. If you need more info, please feel free to contact me will.guo@6nmetals.com

[Edit Post]

Link | Top | Bottom

New Topic Reply
Next Page

Previous Page

New Post

Please login to post a response.

Contact Us | Member Login  | Use and Privacy Policy | Forum Terms of Use
Galleon Forums was created by Raymond Camden
© Copyright 2006-2018, Society of Vacuum Coaters (SVC™)
All Rights Reserved

Follow SVC on Twitter
Society of Vacuum Coaters
P.O. Box 10628
Albuquerque, NM 87184
Phone 505/897-7743
Fax 866/577-2407
svcinfo@svc.org